If you are planning to list your home for sale this spring, we know that you want to sell it quickly and for top dollar. Set yourself up for success by following these expert staging tips before you put out the “for sale” sign.
- Clean it up. From floors to windows to tile grout, make sure every surface in your home sparkles. Have carpets professionally cleaned prior to the first showing. This is the least expensive way to help your home put its best foot forward. If you cannot get the job done yourself, hire a cleaning crew to do an initial deep clean, then have your home cleaned weekly while it is for sale.
- Store personal items. Potential buyers need to visualize themselves living in the space, which means removing objects that others might not be able to identify with, such as family photos, keepsakes, and political and religious items. Consider replacing walls filled with photos with large pieces of art, or simply leave the wall empty so buyers can imagine adding their own décor.
- Touch up paint. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for your home’s interior and exterior. If any part of your home currently features unusual colors, This Old House recommends updating the look with warm neutral tones that appeal to a wide range of buyers. Touch up any unsightly wall dings and scuffs in rooms that do not need to be repainted, and don’t forget decks, porches and patios.
- Tune up windows and doors. Investing in maintenance and repair of windows and doors can be crucial to a sale. Check for squeaks, cracked panes, chipping paint and torn weatherstripping. If you think replacement of windows or a sliding glass door may be in order, contact a Sunrise® dealer near you for assistance.
- Stage the exterior too. Even a small investment in landscaping can bring a much larger return. Trim up overgrown trees and shrubs, plant flowers and ensure the lawn is mowed regularly. Play up an outdoor living space with potted plants and patio furniture, or add welcoming rocking chairs to the front porch.
What other tips do you feel are important for sellers? Let us know in the comments below!